The Baltic ports are unlike any other as you will be able to find some of the most incredibly beautiful and unusual architectural structures in the world. From triangle tops and corkscrew spires of ancient churches to bright colourful houses and onion-domed cathedrals, this is one cruise destination not to be missed. Just some of the Baltics ports that a ship would typically visit include:
Russia is renowned as the land of cultural and artistic treasures and St Petersburg is the perfect place to see just that. The places that you must see include:
- The Hermitage Museum which was once the Winter Palace and houses one of the finest collections of art in the world with works by Leonardo da Vinci, Rembrandt and Matisse.
- The Palace of Catherine the Great features a 298 metre white, gold and blue façade and is crowned with golden onion domes.
- St Isaac’s Cathedral is a stunning building offering marble walls embossed with an array of semi-precious stones.
Estonia is a beautiful country full of natural beauty and steeped in history and culture. It’s also the place to find Tallinn, a popular port of call. Top sights to see here include:
- The Old Town is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is surrounded by magnificent ancient walls, cobbled streets and medieval buildings.
- Alexander Nevski Cathedral is a truly beautiful building that was built in the 1800’s and offers onion domed rooftops.
- Folk dancers can often be found dancing around the cobbled streets of the Old Town to truly set the scene.
Denmark is known as the ’world’s happiest country’ and that’s exactly what you can expect when you reach Copenhagen. Popular attractions here include:
- Royal Castle Amalienborg offers a beautiful courtyard and extravagant interiors and it is the home of the Danish royal family.
- Church of our Saviour is one of the most visited sites here due to its famous corkscrew spire and external winding staircase which you can climb to the top and enjoy views overlooking the city.
- Tivoli Gardens is another beautiful place to visit offering everything from flower gardens and boat rides to beer gardens and fun-park rides.
Above is just a small highlight of the Baltic ports you may discover on a journey through Northern Europe. To find out more, give your award winning Six Star Cruise Concierge a call today on 0808 202 6105 and they will be more than happy to help.