Silver Moon the ninth ship in Silversea’s luxurious fleet boasts both elegant design and innovative facilities, alongside key features similar to those found on her sister ship, Silver Muse. Designed to minimise water and air pollution, Silver Moon’s purpose is to provide the 21st century luxury travel experience with minimal environmental impact. Maintaining the small-ship feel but breath-takingly grand, all-suite interiors is something you can expect from Silversea’s fleet.
Two of our SixStarCruises colleagues Connell Blackburn-Green, Supplier Relations Manager, and Laura Wing, Specialist Cruise Concierge, were fortunate enough to embark on a Greek Isles sailing on-board Silver Moon during early September 2021. They have kindly shared some valuable Top Tips in which they feel are useful to know when sailing on your next Silversea itinerary.
As a result of COVID-19 health and safety precautions Silversea continues to follow government guidelines by implementing specific procedures before passengers and staff are welcomed on-board their sailings, minimising health risks. Our colleagues explained what they were required to do before embarking their sailings.
“Before embarking on our Silver Moon sailing, we had to ensure we had COVID travel insurance, completed our passenger locator forms, prepared our proof of vaccination status and had to pre-book a COVID test for our return to UK. However, we did not have to take a COVID test in order to travel.”
- Print off your passenger locator form, boarding passes (cruise and flights) and vaccination certificates. Use the computer onboard to print your documents for returning home (ask reception for help if needed!)
- Ensure you clearly understand the requirements necessary to the destination you are travelling to, as well as any cruise line conditions.
Arrival at Embarkation Port
After arriving at Athens’ port where Silver Moon began her Greek Isles itinerary, our colleagues highlighted the safe boarding process that Silversea implements to ensure an efficient boarding process for passengers.
“Once we arrived at the port, crew members took our luggage and sent it straight to our suites. A series of semi-permanent structures housed the Covid-19 testing facility which is facilitated by Silversea. We then completed a couple of forms, and our test results were back twenty-five minutes after we arrived at the port. We were then cleared to embark the ship. No booking was required for embarkation and refreshments available for guests.”
- Watch the safety video on your TV after boarding and head straight to the safety briefing. You then have more time to enjoy your holiday once you have watched these!
During our fellow colleagues stay on-board Silver Moon, they each stayed within a Deluxe Veranda Suite and described their accommodation type and the amenities available.
“The Deluxe Veranda Suite was very spacious and had a lovely bathroom which included a separate bath and shower. There was more than enough space for clothes and luggage to be stored away neatly within the walk-in wardrobe which was fabulous. A choice of cosmetics were available, the mini bar provided was replenished daily, and a mixture of US and EU plug sockets and direct USB sockets were located around the suite.”
- Your Butler will ask you if you would like something specific to drink left in your suite – I said I like Bourbon and they left me a litre bottle of Makers Mark to help myself to.
- If you are choosing between the Grand Suite or the Owners Suite, the Grand Suite is often cheaper but offers a much larger ‘wrap-around’ veranda. It really is huge and would be amazing to host friends for a cocktail party (which your butler can arrange and set up for you).
- If you like a bath, set aside an hour in your itinerary, and ask your butler to run you a bath. It is like having your own spa experience right in your suite. They provide special candles to set the mood and it’s a lovely experience to be had.
- Ensure to pack a universal travel adapter so that any appliances that may need to be charged or plugged into a socket can be with any plug type.
Silver Moon offers a diverse selection of entertainment on-board, including interactive dining experiences, an observation library, exceptional shopping experiences and more. Our colleagues on-board immersed themselves in a number of the excursions on offer and informed us on their experiences.
“We went to the S.A.L.T. lab to experience the ‘Cook the Menu: Moussaka’ cooking class. This experience comes free of charge but needs to be booked in advance, with two chefs taking you through the process of making the perfect Moussaka. The plate changes dependent on where the ship is docked, and uses fresh ingredients sourced directly from markets you visit along the way. It was a truly wonderful experience and left me with a new recipe to take home.
I took the opportunity to spend the afternoon by the pool and sampled a cocktail or two. This area was fantastic, with beds aplenty and a very large pool for the size of the ship, catering for everyone on-board.”
- Every excursion on-board is bookable on the TV or with your butler.
- Make the most of the Sea and Land Taste programme (S.A.L.T) where the Salt Host and Chef take you on a culinary journey centred around the region you are visiting.
A wide range of dining options are available on-board Silver Moon, all providing the freshest, highest quality ingredients expected from a Silversea cruise. From fine dining to interactive experiences Silver Moon provides guests with the ultimate dining encounters on-board this incredible ship. We asked Connell and Laura about their dining experiences on-board.
“We went for dinner in La Terrazza, an authentic Italian restaurant utilising the freshest ingredients to concoct world-class dishes. The menu was huge and waiting staff were on hand to recommend the best dishes which is always useful.
The Grill offers prime cuts of steak and seafood cooked on lava stones under the Greek stars. I also ordered some Madagascan prawns which were slightly bigger than I expected and tasted phenomenal. The wine was recommended by the butler and certainly hit the spot.
Another evening we went to the S.A.L.T. Kitchen which gave us the opportunity to enjoy dishes from the region we were visiting. I am a fan of Greek cuisine, but this really did blow me away. Service was impeccable and the Mackerel for main is whole-heartedly recommended.”
- Order breakfast to your suite at least once whilst onboard. It’s a nice, relaxed way to start the day, especially if you have good views from the suite. Ensure the folder with your order is outside the door of your suite by 2:00am and breakfast will be with you at a time that you select.
- Guests need to pre book dining to ensure that there is no overcrowding within restaurants.
Health and Safety On-board
As previously mentioned, health and safety are of extreme importance and Silversea has implemented a number of protocols/requirements which must be adhered to, as a result of government guidelines, to ensure the safety of everybody on-board. After asking Connell and Laura their experience and opinions of how these measures affected their cruising experience, they responded by saying the following.
“Throughout our cruise we fully understood the requirements and protocols needed prior to boarding, as well as whilst on-board Silver Moon.”
Protocols such as:
- Temperature check taken for each guest by your butler before 12 noon
- Hand sanitisation stations positioned at each restaurant entrance.
- Within the Buffett area it is a one touch service, meaning you are served individually to comply with social distancing.
- The Buffett area also has a hand washing area which you need to visit each time you approach.
- Each guest is given x2 hand sanitiser, antibacterial wipes, and a pouch to attach to your bag, along with an ample supply of face masks individually wrapped.
- Face masks were to be worn when walking around the ship but not when seated or on the pool deck/pool area.To ensure maximum safety to guests.
- We had to watch the muster call on the screen in our suite, and then you were advised of a time to go to the theatre in smaller groups for a life jacket demonstration.
- Use the complimentary Bvlgari personal hygiene provided in your suite. Face masks and hand sanitiser are all provided for you.
“Overall, we felt completely at ease when on-board Silver Moon, everything seemed that little bit more organised. Staff members were happy to answer any questions we had whilst continuing to provide the expected Silversea VIP service.”
If you wish to experience life on-board Silver Moon view her 2021 and 2022 itineraries here, or speak to one of our specialist SixStarCruises concierge to secure your sailing today.