Seabourn has announced its line-up of guest speakers for its “Seabourn Conversations” programme throughout the summer and autumn 2023 season aboard Seabourn Ovation, Seabourn Quest and Seabourn Venture itineraries. The on-board enrichment programme is designed to inform and entertain guests across a range of subject matters that pique their interests. Guests can expect to enjoy scheduled speakers including Apple Co-founder Steve Wozniak; former head of MI5, Dame Stella Rimington, Michelin-star Chef Robert Thompson and more.
Guests can join the conversations taking place on Seabourn voyages between June and November 2023, and follow several themes from royalty and wine interests to expedition and culture. Each speaker will offer insights, expert opinions and enlightening conversations while presenting lectures, sharing meals, adventuring ashore and socialising with guests throughout the voyage.
Upcoming speakers in the “Seabourn Conversations” programme include the following:
- Steve Wozniak, Apple co-founder, June 11–25, 2023 (Seabourn Ovation roundtrip from Copenhagen). Technology entrepreneur and philanthropist for more than 40 years, Wozniak has helped shape the computing industry by designing Apple’s first line of products, the Apple I and II. He also influenced the popular Macintosh. In 1976, Wozniak and Steve Jobs founded Apple Computer Inc. with Wozniak’s Apple I personal computer.
- Explorers and adventurers, July 2–16, 2023 (Seabourn Venture roundtrip from Reykjavik). Speakers include Seabourn Venture Godmother Alison Levine, a polar explorer and mountaineer; Heidemarie M. Stefanyshyn-Piper, a former NASA astronaut and U.S. Navy Captain, having served in the U.S. Navy for 30 years; and Dr. Beth Healey, who has worked in extreme and remote environments, including Svalbard, Siberia, Greenland and the North Pole.
- Chef Robert Thompson, August 1–25, 2023 (Seabourn Quest London to Quebec). Born in Bedfordshire, England, chef Robert Thompson became the youngest chef awarded a Michelin Star in 2007. Guests will enjoy a live cooking demonstration, experience a guest chef dinner menu in the Colonnade and have an opportunity to book a tasting menu with wines. Chef Robert will also be sailing on Seabourn Sojourn June 29 to July 13, 2024 from Lisbon to Dover and September 7–21, 2024 roundtrip from Dover.
- Dame Stella Rimington, former director general MI5, October 29 to November 5, 2023 (Seabourn Ovation from Barcelona to Rome). Dame Stella Remington is known as the role model for the character “M” played by Dame Judi Dench in the James Bond 007 films. Appointed director general of MI5 in 1992, she was the first woman to take the post. She retired in April 1996. A writer, she chaired the judging panel for the Booker Prize for Fiction in 2012.
- “Royal Interest Voyage,” November 5–11, 2023 (Seabourn Encore from Athens to Tenedos). Speakers include Grant Harrold, former royal butler, who will also host a royal etiquette class; and Brian Aris, celebrity photographer to the royals for many years. He has also photographed stars such as Sting, Trudy Styler in Dorset, Bowie, Liza Minelli, David Beckham and more.
- Justin Van Breda, interior designer, November 5–12, 2023 (Seabourn Ovation from Rome to Barcelona). Born in Cape Town, South Africa, Justin Van Breda started working for Nicky Haslam at NH Design in early 1999. During late 2001, he returned to South Africa to curate his first furniture collection, pieces of which still form the backbone of the designs.
- “Wine Interest Voyage,” November 12–19, 2023 (Seabourn Encore from Istanbul to Athens). Speakers include Mike DeSimone and Jeff Jenssen, wine editors at “Robb Report” magazine. DeSimone is also the official taster for Spanish wines at “Wine Enthusiast;” and Will Lyons, “Sunday Times” wine critic. Sailing from Istanbul, this voyage includes special interest wine and food experiences ashore. Onboard, guests will be entertained by wine experts with talks, tastings, pairing advice, together with “wine and dining” opportunities.